Getting Hired in Health Libraries
Join on us October 9th, 2018 for HLABC’s “Getting Hired in Health Libraries” Event! We will provide free pizza and drinks, so please fill out the following registration form so we know how much to buy.
5:00-5:55pm: “Getting Hired in Health Libraries” Panel – Listen to 3 recently hired health librarians share their experiences and tips on how to get hired in health libraries. You can decide what we ask! Submit questions on the registration form.
- Vanessa Kitchin – MD Undergraduate Librarian, Woodward Library, UBC
- Chantalle Jack – Librarian, Vancouver Coastal Health
- Terri McKellar – Knowledge Services Manager, Physiotherapy Association of BC
6:00-6:30pm: Speed “dating” with HLABC Members – Ask questions of HLABC members from a variety of different jobs and places in their careers.
HLABC CE/AGM Thursday, July 12th, 2018
Please join us on Thursday July 12th, 2018 for a half-day workshop on using Tableau to visualize library data and an in-person journal club. HLABC is an organization dedicated to supporting health libraries, their staff, and anyone interested in the search and discovery of health information.
Deadline to register is b>
- July 9, 2018
Don’t forget, you must be an HLABC member to register! The current membership cycle runs from June 1, 2018 – May 31, 2019. If you’ve renewed within this time period you are a current member. To become an HLABC member or to renew your membership, simply go to http://hlabc.chla-absc.ca/membership/join-hlabc/. It just takes a minute to renew!
Looking forward to seeing you there,
– HLABC Executive
When: Thursday July 12th, 2018
Location: UBC Woodward Library, Sherrington Room (2198 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, V6T 1Z3
Cost: $25 in person, for the cost of lunch and coffee and tea throughout the day (PayPal link on the registration form) / $0 Online
8:45am-9:00am – Welcome (Coffee and tea)
9:00am-12:00pm – Exploring and presenting library data with Tableau by Jeremy Buhler
12:00pm-1:00pm – Lunch
1:00pm-2:00pm – AGM (Agenda to follow)
2:00pm-3:00pm – In-person Journal Club led by Chris Vriesema-Magnuson
3:00pm-4:00pm – Social Gathering at Mahoney and Son’s (right next door to Woodward Library) – I will make a reservation based on interest
1. Fill out the registration form at https://goo.gl/forms/oX2Xe2Yd4Pri9n7b2
2. If attending in-person please follow the PayPal link to complete registration.
- Exploring and presenting library data with Tableau
This hands-on workshop will provide a practical introduction to Tableau, a popular platform for data visualization. Using real library datasets participants will learn how to prepare their data for visualization, to navigate the Tableau interface, and to create reports that make their data more accessible. The workshop will briefly address principles of good data presentation, but emphasis will be on learning to use Tableau software through guided practice. No previous experience with Tableau or data visualization is required.
Important: Participants should to bring their own laptops with Tableau Public installed (free from https://public.tableau.com/s/download).
Jeremy Buhler is the assessment librarian at the University of British Columbia and uses Tableau extensively to improve access to data that informs library decisions. He partners with colleagues to help bring about UBC Library’s assessment vision, a magic place where “existing data is accessible, presented with clarity, and used in creative new ways, […] and university administrators are confident that library decisions are based on the best available evidence.”
In-Person Journal Club led by Chris Vriesema-Magnuson
Please read the following article and be ready to discuss it in depth:
Hathcock, A. (2015). White librarianship in blackface. In the Library with the Lead Pipe. http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2015/lis-diversity/
As a reference, I’d like to point out ITLWTLP’s submission criteria, for people who have not come across the journal before: http://www.inthelibrarywiththeleadpipe.org/2015/lis-diversity/
Pilot Journal Club – Thursday May 24th, 2018 at 10am
Dean Giustini will be leading a discussion on the following article:
Pardo-Hernandez H, Urrútia G, Barajas-Nava LA, Buitrago-Garcia D, Garzón JV, Martínez-Zapata MJ, Bonfill X. BADERI: an online database to coordinate handsearching activities of controlled clinical trials for their potential inclusion in systematic reviews. Trials. 2017 Dec;18(1):273. https://trialsjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13063-017-2023-3
Please read the article beforehand and be ready to discuss.
We will be using join.me to hold this discussion online or by phone:
Join the meeting: join.me/HLABC-CHLA.ABSC
24 May 2018 10:00
To dial in by phone:
Canada – Vancouver
Conference ID: 955-806-551 #
January 31, 2018 HLABC Continuing Studies Event:
Location: UBC Woodward Library, Computer Lab and Sherrington Room (2198 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, V6T 1Z3)
Cost: $35 in person (PayPal link on the registration form) / $0 Online
- 9:00-9:15 – Welcome (coffee and tea in the Sherrington Room)
- 9:15-10:15 – Personal Oncogenomics and Brain Cancer – Dr. Yaron Butterfield.(Sherrington Room)
- 10:15-10:30 – Break
- 10:30-11:30 – Communicating by design – Chantalle Jack (Computer Lab downstairs from Sherrington Room)
- 11:30-11:45 – Break
- 11:45-12:30 – Predatory journal tools (Computer Lab downstairs from Sherrington Room)
- 12:30-1:30 – Lunch and HLABC Meeting (Sherrington Room)
- 1:30-2:00 – What’s in a Library Catalogue? Maximizing Corporate Value – Ruth Rochlin
- 2:00-2:30 – Canadian Health Librarianship and the TRC: Responses and Responsibilities – Lara Maestro
- 2:30-3:00 – What is old becomes new again: discoveries among the medical rare books – Charlotte Beck
- 3:00-4:00 – Social gathering at Mahoney & Sons
Instructions for online attendance:
BlueJeans Video Conference – https://bluejeans.com/821307830?src=calendarLink
David Dovey has invited you to a video meeting.
Meeting Title: HLABC CE Day
Meeting Time: Wednesday January 31, 2018 • 9 a.m. PST / 6 hrs
Join Meeting – (Join from computer or phone)
Connecting directly from a room system?
1) Dial: 22.214.171.124 or bjn.vc
2) Enter Meeting ID: 821 307 830
Just want to dial in on your phone?
1) Direct-dial with my iPhone or
+1.888.240.2560 (US Toll Free)
2) Enter Meeting ID: 821 307 830
3) Press #
- Fill out the registration form at https://goo.gl/forms/5YpCnjCO1T01mSJ93
- If attending in-person please follow the PayPal link to complete registration.
- If you’re not a current member, please obtain HLABC membership here prior to January 31st as this event is for current HLABC members. (Membership runs June 1 – May 31. Click here to our membership renewal page.)”
Communicating by design by Chantalle Jack
Description: Illuminate your information with data visualization and infographics. Learn how create eye catching reports, information and marketing materials using MS Publisher and Excel that will attract and engage your audience.
Yaron Butterfield is researcher, author, and patient educator, who will be speaking about genomics and brain cancer.
— Presentations from HLABC Members —
- What’s in a Library Catalogue? Maximizing Corporate Value by Ruth Rochlin
- Canadian Health Librarianship and the TRC: Responses and Responsibilities by Lara Maestro
- What is old becomes new again: discoveries among the medical rare books by Charlotte Beck