Please join us for presentations from clinical researchers on the appraisal of systematic reviews and guidelines, presentations from HLABC members on recent innovations and new resources, and, of course, our AGM.
Date: Thursday, June 22, 2017
Location: UBC Woodward Library, Sherrington Room (2198 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, V6T 1Z3)
Don’t forget, you must be an HLABC member to register!
To become an HLABC member or to renew your membership, simply go to http://hlabc.chla-absc.ca/membership/join-hlabc/. It just takes a minute to renew!
- 9:00 – 9:15: Welcome
- 9:15 – 10:40: “Eyes Wide Open: Thoughtful Appraisal of Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses” by Dr. Aaron Tejani
- 10:40 – 10:50: Break
- 10:50 – 11:30: AGM ***Please note: The new HLABC Executive will be announced at this time. If you’re interested in nominating yourself or a colleague, please contact Fiona at firstname.lastname@example.org.***
- 11:30 – 12:30: Lunch, soft start based on timing of AGM (lunch provided with in-person registration)
- 12:30 – 1:30: “We Should Stop Using Clinical Practice Guidelines When it Comes to Teaching Health Care Providers – or Should We?” by Dr. James McCormack
- 1:30 – 2:30: Lightning Presentations from HLABC Members
- 2:30 – 3:30: Social Gathering at Mahoney and Son’s (right next door to Woodward Library)
- Fill out the registration form at https://goo.gl/forms/BPr3FSPj3DhR9bx52
- If attending in-person please follow the PayPal link to complete registration. In-person= $15 (includes lunch and coffee), online= $0. Please only pay once! Link is available here or through the form.
- Please renew your HLABC membership here prior to June 22 as this event for current HLABC members. (Click here to our membership renewal page.)
To participate online: Talks will be available live via join.me (please see the schedule above for approximate timing of events), and will also be recorded (audio/slides only). The AGM will be available live, but will not be recorded. Minutes will be available at a later date.
- Join the meeting: join.me/coppulmeeting
- To dial in by phone: +1.778.654.8779 (More phone numbers)
- Conference ID:460-437-388 #
- “Eyes Wide Open: Thoughtful Appraisal of Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses” by Dr. Aaron Tejani
Description: The presentation will provide an overview of systematic reviews and meta-analyses and their place in the hierarchy of evidence. Participants will be provided with some simple tools to critically appraise systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Special focus will be placed on the importance of searching for and including unpublished information in systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
Bio: Dr. Aaron M Tejani, is a researcher with the Therapeutics Initiative (co-chair of the Education Working Group and the Drug Assessment Working Group), an editor with the Cochrane Hypertension group, a clinical assistant professor with the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (University of British Columbia), and Medication use evaluation pharmacist with Lower Mainland Pharmacy Services (Vancouver, BC). He completed his BSc(Pharm) at UBC (Vancouver) and Doctor of Pharmacy degree at Creighton University (Omaha, Nebraska).
- “We Should Stop Using Clinical Practice Guidelines When it Comes to Teaching Health Care Providers – or Should We?” by Dr. James McCormack
Bio: Dr. James McCormack is a Professor in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at UBC, and has an undergraduate pharmacy degree (UBC) and a doctorate in pharmacy (Pharm.D.) from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina. He has published over 100 articles in the medical literature, mainly in the area of rational drug therapy and is the co-host of a very popular weekly podcast called the Best Science (BS) Medicine podcast (therapeuticseducation.org). Dr. McCormack focuses on shared decision-making using evidence based information and rational therapeutic principles.
Lightning Presentations from HLABC Members:
- “Repurposing What You have: Data Extraction for Scoping and Systematic Reviews using REDCap” by Colleen Pawliuk (BCCW, Faculty of Medicine)
- “Find Your Key Knowledge Leaders” by Karen MacDonell (College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC)
- “Research Service Feedback: An Automated Evaluation Process for Quality Improvement and Advocacy.” by Pat Boileau, Yvette Ipsaralexi, Chantalle Jack, and Shannon Long (Vancouver Coastal Health)
- “OpenTrials” by Ursula Ellis (University of British Columbia)
- “Standards for Literature Searching: Research and Development” by Brooke Ballantyne Scott (Fraser Health, Royal Columbian Hospital)
Nominations for the HLABC Executive
HLABC is an organization dedicated to supporting health libraries, their staff, and anyone interested in the search and discovery of health information. It’s your organization – if you’re interested in becoming involved, getting to know your colleagues better and building your CV, please consider putting your name forward for an executive position (if interested, please contact Fiona at email@example.com).